If you do not agree with anything in this policy, then you may not order any of our goods or order, register for, or use any of our services.
“direct marketing” means any direct communication between HiFi Corp and you for the purpose of goods and service information, marketing goods or services, customer profile building and personal customer care;
“information” means any information, including personal information that you provide to HiFi Corp;
“interactive sections” means all sections of the website which allow you to communicate via the website with other visitors of the website or with HiFi Corp, including but not limited to forums, clubs, surveys, feedback forms, clubs and e-mails;
means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where its applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to:
- Information relating to race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person
- information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
- any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
- the biometric information of the person;
- the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person
- correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
- the views or opinions of another individual about the person;
- the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about that person
- “we” or “us” or “HiFi Corp” means JD Consumer Electronics and Appliances (Pty) Ltd, a division of Pepkor Trading (Pty) Ltd trading as HiFi Corp. HiFi Corp is part of a group of brands that all trade under Pepkor Trading. When you share your information with one of our brands, you may be sharing it with one of the other brands. “website” means www.hificorp.co.za
- “social media” means any social media platform, including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest.
- "you” or “user” means any person who accesses or uses the website.
Collection of Personal Information
We collect certain information: when you make use of our services, necessary to provide the service to you; from your web browser; from cookies we may send to your computer and from web beacons on our website to track how you use our website and to try and give you a personalised experience; and optional information, that you provide when you upload or download content from our website or when you enter competitions, take advantage of promotions, respond to surveys or register and subscribe for certain additional services.
Active Collection of Personal Information
When you order any goods or services from us, you will be asked to provide us with additional information on a voluntary basis (goods or services information)
You may also provide additional information to us on a voluntary basis (optional information). This includes content or products that you decide to upload or download from our website or when you enter competitions, take advantage of promotions, respond to surveys, order certain additional goods or services, or otherwise use the optional features and functionality of the website.
In these situations, HiFi Corp will ask the user for particular information, and inform the user at each information point what information is mandatory and what information is optional, specifically in the instances of ordering any goods or services from us.
BY PROVIDING US WITH ANY GOODS, SERVICES OR OPTIONAL INFORMATION YOU ARE CONSENTING TO US TO COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW AND IN THE MANNER DESCRIBED BELOW.
You agree that HiFi Corp may collect, use and store your personal information to:
- establish and verify your identity;
- maintain and update HiFi Corp’s customer, or potential customer databases;
- greet you when you access the website;
- send you direct marketing material from which you will be able to opt out or unsubscribe;
- provide you with value added services like specialized services and knowledgeable staff, free advice, technical call centre, peace of mind supplier backed warranties as well as special corporate deals;
- send you messages about the website, your account, the goods and services we offer;
- communicate with you in general;
- customize the website to users' preferences;
- inform you of facts relating to your website access and use;
- improve the content of the website or any of our services; installation, guarantee, extended warranties, customer care and product reviews;
- inform you about HiFi Corp’s goods and services, including information particularly aimed at a specific user;
- inform you about competitions, promotions and special offers from HiFi Corp;
- do marketing and product research for HiFi Corp;
- provide you with targeted advertising when you access the website.
Passive Collection of Personal Information
HiFi Corp passively collects (i.e. without the user actively providing the information) information from your browser, including an IP address, browsing habits, click patterns, version of software installed, system type, screen resolutions, colour capabilities, plug-ins, language settings, cookie information, and the page requested.
A cookie is an alphanumeric identifier which HiFi Corp’s computer system transfers to your hard drive through your web browser when you visit the website. It enables our system to recognize you when you visit the website again and to improve our service to you. It also enables us to diagnose problems with our server, to report and aggregate information, to determine the fastest route for your computer to use in connecting with the website, and how to better administer and improve the website. It also enables us to compile aggregate information about your website access and use.
We can use this information to enhance the content of the website and to make it more user-friendly.
You consent to the passive collection, use and storage of user's information
Disclosure / Sharing
You agree that HiFi Corp may disclose, if needed, your personal information to:
- HiFi Corp's affiliates;
- Employees or third parties contracted or employed by HiFi Corp to provide services for or to HiFi Corp, including for example, website hosting and development, joint content and services; customer support, technical support, financial services like credit or other payment processing, delivery services, to guide decisions about our products, services and communications (they will only use this information to send you marketing communications if you have requested their goods or services); and other support services. These companies require access to users' personal information to perform their functions and not for any other purposes and HiFi Corp will take all reasonable steps to enter into confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements with the relevant service providers;
- Any third party to investigate or resolve complaints, including abuse complaints;
- Credit bureaus to report account information, as permitted by law;
- Banking partners as required by credit card association rules for inclusion on their list of terminated merchants (in the event that you utilise the services to receive payments and you meet their criteria)
- Any third party who acquires all, or substantially all, of the assets or shares in HiFi Corp, any of HiFi Corp's affiliates, and/or the HiFi Corp website, whether by sale, merger, acquisition or otherwise. We will disclose the transfer on the website;
Exchanges and other regulatory or self-regulatory bodies
Governmental agencies, exchanges and other regulatory or self-regulatory bodies if HiFi Corp is required to do so by law or if HiFi Corp believes that this is necessary to:
- comply with the law or with any legal process;
- protect and defend the rights, property or safety of HiFi Corp, its affiliates or their customers;
- prevent or deal with fraud or the abuse, misuse or unauthorized use of the website;
- protect the rights, property or safety of members of the public (if you provide false or deceptive information about yourself or misrepresent yourself as being someone else, HiFi Corp will proactively disclose this information to the appropriate regulatory bodies and commercial entities).
- You agree that HiFi Corp may use your personal information to compile profiles for statistical purposes and may trade with these profiles and statistical data, provided that the third party will not be able to link the profiles or statistical data to the user.
HiFi Corp may monitor, intercept, read, block, or delete communication over its information systems.
- HiFi Corp takes reasonable steps to put in place and maintain electronic procedures and systems with reference to accepted technological standards to secure all information under its control.
- Our hosting company will host our website in a secure environment that uses a firewall and other advanced security measures to prevent interference or access from outside intruders. We authorise access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities.
Accurate and up to Date
- We will try to keep the personal information we collect as accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the purposes explicitly defined in this policy. From time to time we may request you to update your personal information on the website. You are able to review or update any personal information that we hold on you by accessing your account online, by emailing us, or by phoning us. Please note that in order to better protect you and safeguard your personal information, we take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your account or making any corrections to your personal information.
- You may update or correct your personal information to ensure it is accurate, current, and complete, by e-mailing HiFi Corp Head office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- HiFi Corp will take reasonable steps to correct or update such information as soon as possible.
- You may choose to correct or update the personal information you have submitted to us, by clicking the relevant menu in any of the pages on our website.
Retention of Personal Information
We will only retain your personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes explicitly set out in this policy, unless:
- retention of the record is required or authorised by law; or
- you have consented to the retention of the record. During the period of retention, we will continue to abide by our non-disclosure obligations and will not share or sell your personal information.
Transfer of Personal Information Outside of South Africa
We may transmit or transfer personal information outside South Africa to a foreign country. Personal information may be stored on servers located outside South Africa in a foreign country whose laws protecting personal information may not be as stringent as the laws in South Africa. You consent to us processing your personal information in a foreign country whose laws regarding processing of personal information may be less stringent.
Username and Passwords
You acknowledge that Internet communications and transactions are not 100% secure or error free. In particular, information may not be secure in transit from the user to the website.
Moreover, where the user provides particularly sensitive personal information like passwords, ID numbers, or other special access features on this site, it is the user's responsibility to maintain the confidentiality of it and to safeguard them.
- The website is not targeted at children under the age of EIGHTEEN and HiFi Corp will not knowingly collect information from users in this age group
- We encourage parents to talk to their children about the use of the Internet and information they disclose to websites.
Unauthorized use of information systems may be a violation of the law, including the Electronic Communications and transactions Act 25 of 2002 and the agreement between you and HiFi Corp. A violation may result in civil and criminal penalties.
Queries and Complaints
Resolution of Disputes
The arbitration proceedings must be conducted in Johannesburg in English.
The arbitration ruling will be final and the unsuccessful party will pay the costs of the successful party on an attorney and own client scale.